[KWlocate] Helicopter noise study at Lime Kiln

Kenneth Balcomb III orcasurv at rockisland.com
Thu Oct 30 10:50:38 PDT 2014

Hi all, I provided NOAA film footage of a USCG helicopter hazing SRKW's years ago, and it was evident that hovering over the whales at fifty feet was sufficient to move the whales several hundred feet away from the prop wash. The method could be effective for brief small scale changes in SRKW direction, but unlikely to deter them from large scale movements - such as following a school of salmon in Haro Strait. The 53C or its Canadian equivalent might be more effective at the latter. The capture operations of yesteryear demonstrated that small explosives and really obnoxious high speed directed vessels could also be effective. But, the problem we face is that with whales spread out over tens of square miles in search of scarce salmon, which whale's direction do we wish to change?
Ken