[KWlocate] Helicopter noise study at Lime Kiln

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Wed Oct 29 22:46:59 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Heads up that tomorrow you may hear helicopter noises on the Lime Kiln
live hydrophone stream -- http://orcasound.net/lk

Beam Reach is doing some pro bono work for NOAA tomorrow Thursday
12:00-13:30 at Lime Kiln in collaboration with The Whale Museum and WA
State Parks.  NOAA wants to know how loud the Port Angeles USCG
helicopter is underwater to determine if it might be a useful tool in
hazing Southern Resident killer whales (SRKWs) as part of an oil spill
response plan.  Val and I plan to make some calibrated recordings as the
helicopter hovers or passes at different elevations and speeds.

Since SRKWs have been frequenting Puget Sound this month, I'd like to
ask for your help tonight and tomorrow morning in providing me with
updated locations for SRKWs.  We plan to place observers to watch for
marine mammals approaching from north or south and will suspend the
overflight if the whales get within a kilometer radius centered on the
Lime Kiln hydrophone.

Please email locate at orcasphere.net and/or scott at beamreach.org if you
hear any calls, clicks, or whistles.

Happy listening,
Scott

--
Beam Reach | http://beamreach.org <http://beamreach.org?svig>
Marine Science and Sustainability School