[KWlocate] Helicopter noise results from Lime Kiln (+ humpback song!)

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Fri Oct 31 11:51:46 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Thank you for helping with marine mammal sightings prior to and during
the helicopter overflight experiment we conducted at Lime Kiln
yesterday.  Thanks also, Ken, for the interesting comments regarding
hazing, including with a USCG helicopter (appended).

The preliminary results from an overflight of the MH-65 Dolphin out of
Port Angeles at 10 knots and an elevation of 25 feet suggest that the
prop wash may be an effective way of generating relatively
high-frequency noise (around 15 kHz) -- close to where the SRKW hearing
is most sensitive -- probably through the generation of small bubbles at
the surface.  Below is a spectrogram that shows how the power increases
in a band near 15 kHz (as well as at lower frequencies) as the
helicopter approaches the hydrophone, flies over it at ~15 seconds, and
then moves away from it in a straight line. The associated audio clip is
attached (compressed from the 96 kHz sampling rate).

As a thank you gift for all your efforts, thoughts, and careful
listening I offer you this amazing recording by Jeanne Hyde of the
humpbacks that have been in Haro Strait recently (but that were observed
more than 2 km from Lime Kiln during the experiment) singing last night
on the Orcasound hydrophone --
http://whale-of-a-porpoise.blogspot.com/2014/10/10-30-14-visual-and-vocal-kind-of-day.html

Here's hoping we never have to haze the Southern Residents!  I will
update you once we have completed our analysis and generated a report to
NOAA regarding the experiment.

Happy listening,
Scott in Seattle