[KWlocate] Invitation to engage the new orcasound.net (tonight!)

Scott Veirs sveirs at gmail.com
Thu May 25 17:09:30 PDT 2017

Hi all,

This is a final announcement and thanks regarding the Kickstarter
crowdfunding campaign to revitalize the Salish Sea Hydrophone Network.  It
ends in just 7 hours, has met our initial goal of $15k, and is only $2.5k
from our stretch goal of $25k.

If you haven't yet had a chance to support orcasound.net with a pledge or
by sharing the project, here is a link --
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sveirs/orcasound-listen-for-whales?ref=em5938

If you've already backed this effort to make it much easier to listen for
whales, thank you sincerely.  The $15k will be used to build a web-based
Orcasound App which will make it simple to listen to the live hydrophones
on your favorite device (PC, tablet, or phone).  It will also make it
simple for citizen scientists to report when they are hearing something
interesting, or worrisome, and it will provide notifications of listening
opportunities and associated conservation actions.

The stretch goals if met will allow us to test new network hardware,
including hydrophones, as well as refine the "sound tutor" resources so
that we can train listeners to recognize more of the signals that are
common in the Salish Sea.  This will set the stage for broader monitoring
presence and more advanced citizen science projects, including a
continuation of the friendly competition Val and I have always enjoyed
between automated and human detectors and classifiers.

If any of you are interested in more details, including guidance regarding
our budgets and how any organization can become a member of the network,
please start with our Memorandum of Agreement --
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OdKOICgPNHy7CkaHjzWMztH_zNir4UlbZbOdKtyRwI0/edit#heading=h.x9soxdiun4ba

We'll be in touch later in June (Orca Month!) to poll you regarding feature
requests and Orcasound App prototypes.

Happy listening,
Scott and Val