[KWlocate] J pod recordings

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Tue May 22 11:52:23 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Here are a couple clips of recent J pod calls, thanks to Jeanne Hyde who
recorded them this morning and yesterday morning.  The clip from
yesterday at 03:38 has an amazing sequence of very loud S1/4/10 calls --

http://orcasound.net/mp3s/lk/120521_0338_lk_J-calls-loud-jeanne-hyde.mp3

and the clip from this morning at 06:40 has faint calls --
http://orcasound.net/mp3s/lk/120522_0640_lk_J-calls-faint-jeanne-hyde.mp3

that are reminiscent of the calls I heard this morning at 9:30 --
http://orcasound.net/mp3s/os/120522_093030_os_few-faint-S1-calls-Js-hdg-S.mp3
(I only caught the last few faintest ones).

Jeanne observed two J pod groups heading south past the lighthouse
around 10 a.m.  The Beam Reach boat is going to listen to/for them at
the south end of Haro Strait.  If they don't double back as the ebb tide
switches (at 13:30), it's possible they may head towards Port Townsend,
so listening to either Lime Kiln or http://orcasound.net/pt could be
fruitful.

Happy listening,
Scott

--
Beam Reach | http://beamreach.org <http://beamreach.org?svig>
Marine Science and Sustainability School