[KWlocate] Reduced "Help" orca location emails

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Thu Sep 16 14:22:36 PDT 2010

  Hello all,

A quick note regarding the recent killer whale locations provided by the
SPOT tracker aboard the Beam Reach boat:

This year there has been a divergence of opinions about whether this
list should forward locations of research boats when those boats are
with the southern residents, thereby communicating SRKW locations (the
purpose of the list) for interested parties.  List members -- including,
hydrophone network listeners, land-based sighting network members,
researchers, stewards, etc -- now number 62 receiving instantaneous
messages and 18 getting daily digests (many of whom switched to digest
due to the many SPOT emails generated by the Beam Reach program last
spring).

As increasing numbers of members opt to receive emails on their mobile
phones (and sometimes incur charges), I'd like to propose sending a
single announcement when the Beam Reach boat is with the whales along
with a handy link to a map where members can monitor the boat's
position.  If you would prefer to continue receiving all SPOT location
updates, simply send your email address(es) to scott at beamreach.org and I
will ensure you get all updates.

Finally, please know that we are developing new tools that will
eventually allow you to receive location information based on geographic
and temporal constraints.  In the interim, I hope this change improves
everyone's experience.

If those of you currently receiving daily digest mode would like to
switch to instantaneous mode, you can email scott at beamreach.org or
adjust your account preferences yourself via this interface: