[KWlocate] A hint that J-1 is separated

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Tue Jan 26 16:39:17 PST 2010

Here's a note from John Ford re the repetitive calls we heard today:

"Interesting recording.  The attached clip certainly appears to be a
sequence of S42s, though the limited bandwidth cuts off the distinctive
terminal high frequency component.  I assume that the visual account of
the lone male is to imply this was the source of the calls?  This would
make sense, as I've often heard whales that are traveling apart from the
rest of the group repeat a single call over a long period in a similar
fashion, though mostly just in the northern residents.  This kind of
repetitive calling is usually associated with high excitement levels."