[KWlocate] Lone male KW southbound at Lime Kiln

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Tue Jan 26 13:21:46 PST 2010

Jeanne just called reporting a single male passing the lighthouse going
south.  She got photos and will attempt ID, but said he looked
familiar...  She is scanning for other whales based on our hearing other
calls, substantially fainter, like this probable S10 caught by the computer:

http://orcasound.net/wholistener/lk/detections/raw/2010/01/26/PWRAveDb101_01_26_2010_12_31_09.mp3

I think the repeated call sounds like an S37, slightly modified with a
bit more of a high-frequency start --

http://www.coloradocollege.edu/dept/ev/Research/Faculty/OVALItems/fordosbornevocabulary/S_37.html

Particularly the attached version (.wav format, sorry).

For those who missed the live show before noisy ship, here is a
recording (10Mb):

http://orcasound.net/mp3s/lk/101226_1235-1311_003615_lk_repeated-S37-calls.mp3

Fascinating catch, Suzy!
Scott