[KWlocate] Fw: Orcas off Edmonds/Kingston hdg. N

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Fri Nov 13 15:18:25 PST 2009

Listen to Port Townsend tonight! (See below from Susan.)

I've confirmed that automated detection (& humans) missed them on their way in 11/11-12...  Maybe they were silent or masked by ship noise?

From: Orca Network

Finally - another sighting of the whales in Puget Sound today!

Anthony Woelke of WA State Ferries, aboard the Puyallup ferry, called to
report several small pods of orcas spread out, mid-channel between
Edmonds and Kingston, between Jeff Head & Edward Pt. at 2:05 pm,
heading slowly north. He saw a male, female & small calf, another
group of 4 swimming abreast, and another 10+ beyond them.They also saw 1
spout further out that didn't look like an orca spout - possible gray
whale?

Then we received a call from Chrissy MacClean of Pt.Townsend, onboard the
Edmonds/Kingston ferry, reporting ~10 orcas off the ferry at 2:30
pm.

keep your eyes peeled - there's still a few hours of daylight!

susan

Susan Berta &
Howard Garrett

Orca  Network

info at orcanetwork.org

www.orcanetwork.org

1-866-ORCANET

Orca Network
- Connecting whales and people in the Pacific Northwest

Orca Network is
dedicated to raising awareness about the whales of the Pacific Northwest,

and the importance of providing them healthy and safe habitats.

Projects include the Whale Sighting Network and Education Programs, the
Free Lolita Campaign,

and the Central Puget Sound Marine Mammal Stranding Network.