[KWlocate] Listen to PT tonight?]

Scott Veirs scott at beamreach.org
Thu Dec 3 19:48:39 PST 2009

Hi all,

We could use your listening help tonight and tomorrow morning as we try
to understand how the orcas use the area around the Port Townsend
hydrophone ( http://orcasound.net/pt ) that is being considered for
tidal power development.  It would be particularly helpful if any
listeners in other time zones (e.g. Europe and the East Coast U.S.)
could listen in the around the local dawn (05:00 PST) and send notice of
any killer whale sounds to locate at orcasphere.net

Susan and Howie of http://orcanetwork.org relayed reports from Brad
Hanson (NOAA) that late this afternoon J and K pods were heading
northward out of Puget Sound.  At 2:23pm PST today J and K pods were way
south of Pt. No Point, but still north of the Edmonds ferry lane,
milling and foraging but gradually gravitating southward.  By *4 pm, the
whales had begun moving back NW.* Brad was with *the trailing end of the
group, including K11 and one of the males, south of Point No Point*,
while the* rest of the whales were further North. *

Happy listening,
Scott in Seattle