[KWlocate] New SRKW location

srkw at orcasphere.net srkw at orcasphere.net
Tue Jun 3 14:54:31 PDT 2008

otis|otisr at ripon.edu|Self|.|Lime Kiln|2008|June|3|10|48|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|JKL|.|milling|N|Members of JKL pods entered the study area at 1048, heading north against a stiff ebb tide.    During the 36 minutes they were in the study area, 15 tailslaps, 2 tailwaves, 3 breaches, one pecslap, 2 spyhops, 2 cartwheels, some logging, and a sea snake were observed.  The spreadout time from the first to the last whale over our "line" was 22 minutes.  Dividing that by the 47 whales we observed gives us an average of 0.5 minutes between each whale.  These whales were accompanied by 2 powerboats inside our study area and 5 powerboats outside our study area.  There were 2 plane flyovers. The last whale left the study area at 1124.  It rained throughout the passby.